I've been covering quite a few food-tasting events of late and all have been really unique that has left me wanting more. Kurries & Burries is one such eatery, a Mex-Asian Cafe to be precise, that invited me for food-tasting on 20th May. Kurries & Burries claims to be the first of its kind outlet in Bombay/Mumbai that serves Mexican and Asian food under one roof. It has a vast menu, which makes it a unique concept between a QSR format and a fine dining restaurant.
Due to its proximity to the famous Chowpatty Beach ( at Marine Drive, just opposite Starbucks ), as well as many colleges situated nearby, the location is an ideal spot to try different kinda food. The crowd, Kurries and Burries aim to cater falls between the age group of 15 to 75 years. Its prices too are suited accordingly for both kinds of patrons; inexpensive, that a normal college-going kid can afford as well those that can be afforded by highly established business-folks. Though the place is rather small in size, its usage of mirrors on the walls gives a more larger and spacious illusion in its decor.
Kushal Todi ( the owner of the outlet ) greeted us and introduced us to the various food served in the restaurant and few portions of which we also tasted later. He told us that K&B makes most of its dishes in-house and the recipes are again prepared by his Mother. Each recipe goes through a process of 3 months of trial and error before it is put on a trial for a month at the restaurant to take customer feedback and then goes live on the menu. Another interesting facet is also that, they being Jain, they aim to serve primarily vegetarian amongst the different cuisines, and thus, its Menu consists of 80% Jain food. I had invited another blogger-friend along for the food-tasting, as I wanted another opinion on the food too.
We were first served the delicious Mango Mocktail which is Mango pulp ( Non-Preservative bases ), Pineapple Juice and Milk, all grinded together and topped with roasted cashews to perfection. The drink is thick ( almost like a shake ) and very flavoursome. It has two of my favourite fruits in it, so can't go wrong at all. Looks so tempting, I totally loved it. The crushed cashew on top makes it a unique liquidy-crunchy combination.
Kurries & Burries offers a delicious spread of Asian and Mexican starters. We were treated to two :
1. Crackling Spinach with Paneer – that instantly stole my heart. Spinach can also taste so crispy and yummy, I found out @Kurries&Burries. The dish also has cubes of Cottage cheese tossed in Schezwan sauce, and the combination of both makes it totally mouth watering.
2. Kung Pao Potato followed next, which is lightly fried potato until brown & crisp, which are then tossed in a sweet & spicy sauce. It will remind one of potato wedges, but the taste of the sauce makes it slightly different. With such yummy starters done, I was really looking forward to the main course. But we had a surprise in the name of Mexican Mex-Wich!!
Mexican Mex-Wich is said to be their best-selling speciality ( and best tasted as soon as served, else, might become soggy ). It is essentially a Tortilla filled with crushed Nacho Chips, Cottage cheese that is marinated in Mexican sauce, Mayonnaise, Mexican beans, Salsa. All is then enveloped together, grilled, then deep fried after which it is topped with Salsa, Sour Cream, Cheese sauce and served with Mexican sauce by the side. Doesn't it look simply gorgeous?
YUM YUM YUM.....
Don't the plate look yummy? I was already so full, that I was wondering if I could do justice to the food. I got a bit curious about the Mexican platter too as the Asian Platter had totally impressed us. It was visually so tempting and my favourite has to be the Green Thai Curry and steamed Rice. It was simply delicious. There was also the Spring Roll and veggies sauteed in Schezwan sauce, Schezwan Noodles and Steamed Momos. I'm generally not a big fan of Oriental cuisines, but I loved whatever I tasted @KurriesBurries. Will definitely recommend.
Some of the key points for brand Kurries & Burries is :
1. K&B is easy on the pocket and aims that its patrons can eat 2 – 2.5 times, at the same cost they eat outside. Not to forget, eating out at one of South Mumbai’s premium locations.
2. It offers food gradable disposables making it easy to eat on the move.
3. A spread so huge which is difficult to get at one store for Vegetarians.
4. Offers international food suited for the Indian taste palate.
Popular Dishes had at the outlet:
1. Mango Mocktail | 2. 3 Layered Sandwich | 3. Nachos Supremo | 4. Mexican Mexwich
5. Cheese Momos and Corn, Cheese Capsicum Momos | 6. Green Thai Curry | 7. Burmese Khausey | 8. Taco Mousse
The Big Daddy Burrito Challenge :
You have to eat, chew & swallow, by yourself all the burrito (16”), salsa, sour cream, wafers, and Pepsi Pet bottle that are presented in front of you at the table. A challenge available in-house only. If you can complete, you naturally get something. To find out what exactly ~ head to Kurries & Burries like NOW!!!
Ambience - 3 Stars
Food - 4 Stars
Staff - The owner served us, so can't say.
Price - 3 Stars
( Images - ©Mine )
Address : 29/A, Jethabhai Govindji Building, Opposite Merchants Club, Metro Motors Lane, Rangekar Road, Chowpatty, Mumbai, Maharashtra-7
For Restaurant/Hotel/Resort reviews use 'Contact Us' page above to drop an email with details
Our Rating Scale is : 1 to 5 = ◕◕◕◕ I really liked it.