A DAY IN NORTH-GUWAHATI VISITING DOUL GOVINDA AND DIRGHESHWARI TEMPLE SITES



Photo Travelogue :
Read first part - Here!


My trip to north-guwahati was quite an impromptu one. I wanted to go, but was terrified of travelling by ferry due to water-phobia. Nonetheless, I gathered some courage and did end up going to the other shore ~ by ~ yes, a boat! The river ride was sheer bliss, although, I wish they didn't overload the tiny boat and scared the hell out of me. Anyways, since I was there, I had to do little time-pass before taking a return boat back home. So, I decided to go the safer places first. North Guwahati has lots of options, especially, when one goes by road, but since I had gone by boat I opted the nearest place. Not the religious types, but I had heard a lot about Doul Gobindo ( from my mother who had been there ) which is about 5-10 minutes walk ( depending on how fast you walk ) from the Rajaduwar Ghat where my boat landed. Here's details about my visit :-)

1. DOUL GOVINDA TEMPLE...

getting down at Rajaduwar ghat...there's nothing to indicate why it is named as such...


the small road that goes right up to the temple...its a famous site, so, no chance of getting lost...


reaching the temple site...the main entrance...


some interesting 'old' idols near the entrance...


going inside...photography is not allowed inside the temple...


so, I loiter around the grounds a bit...


take the prasad and I'm off...
Doul Govinda Temple is one of the important temples of Kamrup, Assam, India. It is situated on the northern banks, on the foot hills of Chandra Bharati hill at Rajaduar, North Guwahati. The temple is mainly devoted to Lord Krishna. Besides, there is an Namghar along with the temple within the same premises ( wiki ).

-0-

While in north-guwahati, I decided to head towards Dirgheshwari Temple next, which is few kms from Doul Gobindo ~ in the interiors, and would require a shared auto ride. I was particularly interested to see the ancient rocks that are located there, which is said to have several images carved in them - dates of which are unknown. There are trackers that goes to the temple, so, I went to its stand which is not far from Dol Gobindo temple. I walked to it, asking for directions.


the tracker stand...


when I saw this sight, I almost laughed, but wait to know till the end why it ceased to be funny...


2. DIRGHESHWARI TEMPLE...

unlike Guwahati city, north-guwahati is quite small and soon we were in the country side...


passing through fields...


and villages...the road was okay, kinda...no complaints!


its a twenty-minutes ride and we reached the temple...


first entrance; lots of steps to climb...the temple is on top of a hill...Sitachal hill...


it is an ASI recognised site...maintained by ASI...


view of the road below as one climbs, the road disappears from view further up...


pause, and look around a bit...



many ancient rock images and carvings here...of ganesh, hanuman and other gods...


continue climbing...


the last and main entrance...


rock images inside as well...these foot prints are believed to be of Goddess Durga...


a galaxy of trishuls...


the temple from outside...


the main prayer-hall and altar of the temple...

There's a dark inner chamber ~ the Garbha-griha of the temple, located underground in a small cave ( like Kamakya temple ) down those stairs, where the idol of Goddess Durga is present...


it was too dark to click pictures inside the 'diya' ( offered by devotees ) lit cave...


2nd prasad of the day...it was salt-less so tasted quite bland!

Dirgheswari Temple is a temple situated in the northern banks of the river Brahmaputra in Guwahati, Assam. Built by Ahom king Swargadeo Siva Singha, Dirgheswari temple is considered as a Shakti Peetha for Shakti Worship. Many ancient images made on rocks existed along with the temple ( wiki ).

While getting there was relatively an easy task, it was quite a wait to get a return tracker back to Rajaduwar ghat to take a return ferry. Also, it being a tiger-leopard infested area, I was getting bit nervous as to how to get a ride back. At the end, I had to get in an over-crowded one, like the one I had laughed at earlier. When I counted there were 17 inside ( including me ), how everyone fit in that tiny auto - don't ask me! I was just too glad to come back at last ~ in one piece. Phew!

Address : Doul Gobindo Temple - Doul Govinda Rd, Baruah Souk, North Guwahati, Guwahati, Assam 781030
Dirgheshwari Temple - Amingaon Doul Govinda Road, North Guwahati, Guwahati, Assam 781039
Read next part - Here! Stay tuned for all my road, rail, flight, cruise & walk trips.
( Images - ©Mine. All rights reserved. )
Our Rating Scale is : 1 to 5 = ◕◕◕◕◕ - It was Awesome!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment