SANJAY GANDHI NATIONAL PARK, BORIVALI, BOMBAY ( MUMBAI )



Photo Travelogue :

I have lived in Bombay for over two decades now, and even for some time in Borivali and I used to pass the National Park everyday, but somehow watching animals was not my thing then - it still isn't, although, I've been to a couple of safaris and enjoyed them tremendously as well. I got very curious to visit the park, when I came upon articles that mentioned that the park was haunted, particularly the Kanheri Caves ( located inside the national park - right in the middle ). and also, a particular stretch of road that leads to it. Something that I didn't do for over two decades, I ended up doing finally - i.e visit the national park, just to experience its spook quotient. moi being moi...

I had a brunch event that day ( nov'15 ), so reached the park at almost 4.30pm. It'd close soon too. The safari was already closed ( I wasn't interested in it anyway ), so, I headed to the Kanheri Caves. There's a bus stop inside the park ( near the entrance ), from where one can get a bus to the caves. Its a twenty minutes ride. This post contains only the park portion, caves in next...


main entrance to the sanjay gandhi national park...


two entrances follow back to back...buy a ticket in the first @Rs.50/-


some info and maps of the park...


going inside...


some directions...


the bus-stop inside, to get a bus to Kanheri Caves...


I board a bus to Kanheri Caves - ( read my next post on it...)


exploring the national park...

lush green, this place is rightfully called the city's lungs...


the road goes deep into the jungle...


the entire park view from top of the Kanheri caves...


since I didn't go on the safari, enjoying a different kind of wild-life...


plenty of interesting info-cards about the flora and fauna found in the park...


this path looks interesting...kinda spooky ~ btw, many locals live inside the park too!


the road inside goes till main road via Aarey Milk Colony, hence, vehicles plying...


this path looks interesting too, lets head here...


reach what looks like a lake with a small dam dividing its waters...




its a misty lake...cool dark waters, spooky vibes...


view from the bridge built over it...



the trees around the lake gives it a more creepy look...


see, what I mean?


I leave the lake area back to the main stretch...



those tail-lights indicates that its getting dark...


not leaving yet though, I wait till it gets even darker, cos' then, fun errr spook starts...


and something grabs me from behind...

Nah, just kidding! I waited some more time, till it was pitch black and I could see nothing in front of me. Weirdly, the park didn't have any street lights then ( not sure, if it has any now ). I could see very few cars passing the stretch now - just 1-2 after long gaps, seems people avoid taking this route after dark - because, during day time I did see many vehicles going past. Since, there was hardly any vehicles, not sure the hitch-hiking female ghost had any luck either, lol. I chatted to some guards there, who, on my queries gave knowing smiles...saying, 'hota hai kabhi kabhi'...

Sanjay Gandhi National Park is an 87 km² protected area near Mumbai in Maharashtra State in India. It was formerly known as Borivali National Park. It is notable as one of the major national parks existing within a metropolis limit and is one of the most visited parks in the world ( wiki ).
The park is believed to be haunted by the ghosts of people who lost their lives here due to animal attacks. One such ghost is that of a woman hitchhiker who is dressed in an all-white attire. She asks people to give her a ride and then disappears. People avoid going to the national park in the evening as the darkness falls not just for the fear of animals, but also the spirits lurking here. Some have claimed to hear strange voices while some have had an eerie feeling of being followed or constantly looked at. The night guards who work at Sanjay Gandhi National Park are no strangers to the spirits roaming here and tourists often ask them to narrate ghost stories they’ve heard or witnessed. The Kanheri Caves are described as the most haunted part of the park.


Address : Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Borivali ( east ), Maharashtra
Read next part - Here! Stay tuned for all my road, rail, flight, cruise & walk trips.
( Images - ©Mine. All rights reserved. )
Our Rating Scale is : 1 to 5 = ◕◕◕◕◕ - It was Awesome!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment