BHUJ CITY IN PICTURES - PLACES TO VISIT WHILE IN BHUJ CITY



Photo Travelogue :
Read first part - Here!

I left the PragMahal and Aina Mahal complex, via a small lane in its back and reached the main road. A look at my watch said, there was just little over an hour of sun-light left. My train was late in the evening, so there was still time for that. But, I didn't want to waste any day-time left. I had heard a lot about Bhuj's SwamiNarayan temple ( the old one that now lay in ruins ), and the new one too ~ about its magnificent visuals, so took an auto and asked him to take me there. Only, there are many swamy narayan temples in Bhuj. Which one was the main? Since, the auto was bit clueless too ( read ~ an idiot ), I asked him to drop me off mid-way, near the Hamirsar Lake. I thought, I'd explore on my own. So, here are some of the attractions I came across in my last 2 ( day-light ) hours in Bhuj. All the locations below are within 1-2 kms radius of the city centre.

1...

first Swamy Narayan I came across was in the lane just behind PragMahal...


no women are allowed to go inside the temple, weird no?

2...

what's this? I decide to enter...


its the Sharad Baug Palace, belonging to the last maharao of Kachchh, Madansingh


it's dining hall is now converted into a museum ( no photography allowed )...
The maharao's coffin lies in pride of place in the centre of the building.
I didn't have time to browse the various objects on display though...


outside had a picturesque garden; see the bats hanging on the tree?

3...

the Kutch Museum in british architecture is the oldest museum of Gujarat. ...


it was closed by then, I had seen enough museums already that day, anyway!

4...

because, every city has a lake, Bhuj had one too...


the famous Hamirsar Lake is a man-made lake..., its serene & peaceful...

5...

hunt for the old Swamy Narayan temple is still on...which one is it?

6...

passing by some important buildings...official?

7...

and some ruins, due to 2001 Bhuj earthquake...looks like temple ruins, no?
Was it the ruins of the original Swamy Narayan temple, I wondered, that was constructed by Lord Shree Swaminarayan Himself. Bhuj is one of 6 such places. The Earthquake of Jan'01 destroyed the city of Bhuj, also, the side of the temple facing north. Miraculously the divine idols remained, without any damage, which were later installed in the new temple, built near the old site.

8...

I finally reached the Swamy Narayan temple I was searching for...( new one )


made of marble, it looks royal...


view of the grounds, from top of the stairs of the temple...


reached Bhuj Station late evening for my night train...
I had to wait nearly 3 hours in the station for my train back to Bombay.

Bhuj is a city in the state of Gujarat, western India. It’s known for its centuries-old buildings, many of which were damaged in a 2001 earthquake ( wiki ).

Address(es) : Sharad Baug Palace, Khengarji Park, Gaurav Path Near, Hamirsar Lake Rd, Opp, Bhuj, Gujarat 370001
Kutch Museum, Opposite hmisar lake, Ghanshyam Nagar, Bhuj, Gujarat 370001,
Shree Swaminarayan Mandir Bhuj. Tirth Dham, Shree Swaminarayn Road, Opp City Police Bhuj, Kutch, 370001
Read next part - Here! Stay tuned for all my road, rail, flight, cruise & walk trips.
( Images - ©Mine. All rights reserved. )
Our Rating Scale is : 1 to 5 = ◕◕◕◕◕ - It was Awesome!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment