A DAY IN TEZPUR TOWN IN ASSAM - PART 1



Photo Travelogue :


On this trip, my ultimate destination was actually Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh. However, I had to stop for a day in Tezpur. I had left Guwahati early morning, but the bus kept stopping for other passengers and at one point refused to go beyond Nagaon. They dumped the Tezpur passengers into another bus ( although, didn't charge extra ); as such, I had lost all hopes of catching my bus to Tawang that morning. There are quite a few options of going to Tawang. And the best was probably, what I ended up doing after all i.e halt in Tezpur, and take an early morning Sumo to Tawang the next day. Everything happens for the best in the end. Here's an account of my trip and stay in Tezpur, and what all I did in that one day.. Tawang trip follows soon...


crossing the Kolia Bhomora Bridge over the river Brahmaputra, going north...


after crossing, you arrive in Tezpur in the northern banks of Brahmaputra...


lots of security men here...stopping and checking every vehicles...


some signs on the road in Tezpur town...


the bus stops at the Mission Chariali bus stop...


a landmark...just opposite the bus stop...


behind it, there's a beautiful lake Padam Pukhuri, on the other side of the road is Hazara lake...

Although, I had been late to catch a bus or even a Sumo to Tawang that day, it was still morning time ( 11.30 am ) when I reached Tezpur. When I got down, my rickshaw @Rs.30/-, riding down a road between the two beautiful lakes, took me to the Sumo stand ( 1.5 km ) first, and then, to a friendly and budget hotel that he knew, situated at walking distance from the stand.


the sumo stand...
I booked a ticket to tawang in advance, and they'd pick me up from the hotel early morning.


my humble, decent and quite tiny room at the hotel...@Rs.600/- per night...


there's a small restaurant at the ground floor of the hotel...everyone was watching TV because Modi was visiting Assam/Guwahati that day...I skipped the watching TV part :|


a humble but yummy lunch before I explore Tezpur...

So, all set, I still had an entire day to kill in Tezpur. Tezpur is an ancient town. I was there when I was very small, when my mother had got transferred for a few months to this town. I had heard stories of its famous asura king Banasur; about it having over 1000+ of old Shiva temples etc, so, knew it had lots of history & folklore. So, I thought, why not get round the city and find out for myself. I hailed an auto, and he agreed to take me to 4-5 important places around the city for Rs.400/- which I found to be a decent deal. He'd drop me back at my hotel, at the end of the day.

Tezpur is a city and urban agglomeration in Sonitpur district, Assam state, India. It also serves as a district headquarter for Sonitpur district ( wiki ).

Address : Mission Chariali; Ketekibari; Tezpur; Assam 784501
Read next part - Here! Stay tuned for all my road, rail, flight, cruise & walk trips.
( Images - ©Mine. All rights reserved. )
Our Rating Scale is : 1 to 5 = ◕◕◕◕◕ - It was Awesome!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment