OFF TO THE MAWPHLANG SACRED GROVE ( FOREST ) IN NONGRUM, MEGHALAYA



Photo Travelogue :
Read first part - Here!

While in Meghalaya, I wanted to visit the famous 'Living Roots Bridge' and ancient caves near Cherrapunji, but even though I had reached by 9.30am, I was informed the bus to Cherrapunji/ Mawsynram ( the wettest place on earth ) had already left. I could take a cab, however, its a long way up and I would not have time for other sights by the time I returned. Since, I wanted to go to the Mawphlang Sacred Grove too, on this trip itself ( which was much closer ), I opted for it. That way, I'd have time for other attractions too. So, Mawphlang was it. I had heard so much about it. And being a spook lover, it was a more obvious choice than the bridge. I had heard that, it and the events around it were spooky for sure. And, I had to find out for myself. So, after grabbing a humble bite and tea in a small restaurant near Shillong Centre Point, in the middle of the city, I booked a cab. It and me, both bargained, and we finally agreed at 1200/- for a round trip.


my cab-wala for the day, he'd take me to Mawphlang, Elephanta Falls & Shillong Peak!


without any delay we take off ~ Upper Shillong, that's where we are headed,
( we pass this bridge-like road while entering and leaving Shillong too )


passing by the HQ 101 Area...




passing by the road that goes to Shillong Peak & Elephanta falls ( we'll be back there ).


some army or was it air force compound...something armed for sure...




we are approaching...the sign says - 1 km left to Mawphlang Sacred Grove...
( at 25 kms from Shillong, it takes about 40 minutes to reach Mawphlang )


looks like Europe doesn't it? No wonder the place is called Scotland of the East!


and we reached...the greens beyond the plain grounds ~ is the forest...


some pre-historic Monoliths near the front entrance...
( a 3 day monolith festival is held here that showcases the tribal heritage & culture )


the local guide who will accompany us ~ charges 100/- per head...


and, off we go...


enter the forest, and suddenly, everything is quiet...no birds chirping too...


there is a small path, but that too vanishes as we go deeper & deeper...



its all trees everywhere...some, centuries kya thousands of years old...



do not take anything from the forest, else, illness and death may fall upon you...


maw means "stone", maw phlang = "grassy stone,"; and there were plenty of 'em!

Scattered through out the forest, these 'grassy stones' could be either offerings ( animal sacrifices ) to the local deity ( offered for protection of the locals ), or even the markings of graves - yes, graves of people who were killed! This information made me *gulp* in fright for sure...

I loved my experience at the Sacred Grove. The stories around it were surely spooky, also frightening. Whenever someone tried to take even a dead log or stone, something bad happened to them. Either these stories could be true, or, they are woven by the locals to protect the forests from outsiders, so that they are too scared to touch anything. Whatever be the real truth, I was quite impressed that they could save these forests for so long, that way, from greedy encroachers and developers, miners etc, who bulldoze forests without giving a second thought to the various uses forests serve to humanity ~ either as clean air to breath or various medicinal properties.


vrooming back to civilisation...at full speed...


The East Khasi Hills & the Jaintia Hills District of Meghalaya are filled with sacred forests, all closely linked with the indigenous cultures and religious beliefs. The most sacred among these forests is the Mawphlang Sacred Forest with a strict rule – 'NOTHING is allowed to be taken out of this Sacred Grove, nothing! Failing to comply may lead to death.

Meghalaya or "the abode of clouds" in Sanskrit, is a hilly state in northeastern India ( wiki ).


Address : Mawphlang Sacred Grove, Nongrum, Meghalaya 793121.
Read next part - Here! Stay tuned for all my road, rail, flight, cruise & walk trips.
( Images - ©Mine. All rights reserved. )
Our Rating Scale is : 1 to 5 = ◕◕◕◕◕ - It was Awesome!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment