VISITING THE FAMOUS HAWA MAHAL AT PINK CITY JAIPUR



Photo Travelogue :
Read first part - Here!

My Day.2 in Rajasthan began early in the morning. I would do an evening check-out later in the day, so, didn't carry my backpack along this time. And what a relief it was! I had been to Rajasthan earlier once, in my college days; so it all felt quite familiar - although, it was many years since. I hailed a rickshaw outside my hotel and told it to take me to Hawa Mahal, since, it was closest to where I was. The rickshaw charged only Rs.50/- for about a 15 minute ride to it. It left the new part of the city ( where we were ), and headed towards the old city...


early morning rickshaw ride to Hawa Mahal...


crossing the pink city gate, we enter the old city of Jaipur...


some metro work was going on then...


every structure is pink in these parts, thus, the name ~ pink city...


passing by City Palace ( a part of Hawa Mahal ); will visit it later...


some signs that say, we've reached ~ but too soon, it hadn't opened yet...



a lone shop was open selling souvenirs and puppets...no thanks...


and here's the Hawa Mahal folks...




view ~ up close...
Its façade depicting 953 niches with intricately carved jharokhas ( some are made of wood ) is a stark contrast to the plain looking rear side of the structure. The cooling effect in the chambers, provided by the breeze passing through the small windows of the façade, was enhanced by the fountains provided at the centre of each of the chambers ( wiki ).


side view of the Hawa Mahal...


bye bye Hawa Mahal...will come later in the day if I get time left...

Since, we had reached quite early, and everything was closed... I enjoyed the views from outside. Its a magnificent structure. I decided, I'll come later when it opens, and by my calculations, if I started heading to Amer Fort and its attractions near by, then, those might open too by the time I reach ( via bus ). The bus to Amer halted just outside the Hawa Mahal, and took me right there.

Hawa Mahal is a palace in Jaipur, India. Made with the red and pink sandstone, the palace sits on the edge of the City Palace, Jaipur, and extends to the Zenana, or women's chambers. The structure was built in 1799 by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh, the grandson of Sawai Jai Singh, who was the founder of Jaipur.

The Jantar Mantar is a collection of nineteen architectural astronomical instruments built by the Rajput king Sawai Jai Singh II, the founder of Jaipur, Rajasthan. The monument was completed in 1734. It features the world's largest stone sundial, and is a UNESCO World Heritage site. It is located near the famous Hawa Mahal ( wiki ).


Address : Hawa Mahal Rd, Badi Choupad, J.D.A. Market, Pink City, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302002
Read next part - Here! Stay tuned for all my road, rail, flight, cruise & walk trips.
( Images - ©Mine. All rights reserved. )
Our Rating Scale is : 1 to 5 = ◕◕◕◕◕ - It was Awesome!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment