SEWRI FORT



Photo Travelogue :
Read first part - Here


I got down at Sewri Harbour Line station and walked till end of platform no.2 ( on east ). I followed the other passengers, crossed the rail track; then, the main road that ran underneath a flyover. In opposite end of the road I asked someone way to the fort. He said, go straight, pointing at the road that went inside. So, I did. One has to 'go straight', arrive at a crossroad, go straight again. If in doubt ask someone. Anyways, its hardly about 1 km or so walk and the locals helped. I didn't like the area though. It was the kind where big trucks were parked and was quite deserted. Its actually an industrial place, so, I guess everyone was busy at work. I reached the fort. There's a 'mazhar' or 'dargah' next to it, so, that can be a landmark too. There are also some police residential buildings on one side of the fort. I saw the steps going to the fort and started climbing up. Its on top of a small hill. So, did I make it inside the fort? Read on...

SEWRI FORT
the dusty sign board...

SEWRI FORT
so far, so good......

SEWRI FORT
these greet you as you walk up...

SEWRI FORT
oh...hi there...

SEWRI FORT
I peek inside...

SEWRI FORT
I peek outside...

SEWRI FORT
a notice saying 'renovation work in progress'...

SEWRI FORT
( old pic of the fort before renovation via Google )

Okay, so, as you've guessed...I couldnot go in as there was a big lock and signboard that said that it was undergoing renovation. Well...thats life. However, I did get to see the beautiful Sewri coast from behind so all was not lost. I made most of what I got :-)

The Sewri Fort is a fort in Mumbai built by the British at Sewri. Built in 1680, fort served as a watch tower, atop a quarried hill overlooking the Mumbai harbour ( wiki ).
Address : Sewree Mud-flats, 8, Comed Rambhau Dev Ji Patil Rd, Gandhi Nagar, Sewri Jetty, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400015
Read next part - Here! Stay tuned for all my road, rail, flight, cruise & walk trips.
( Images - ©Mine. All rights reserved. )
Our Rating Scale is : 1 to 5 = ◕◕◕◕◕ !

No comments:

Post a Comment